Cost per meal: $17.50
Total Cost: $35
Yield: 2 (man sized) servings
Time: 40 min (30 active / 10 inactive)
If buffalo is not available or too expensive – change out for a less expensive option. New York Strip will substitute well. We like buffalo because it’s a lean cut of meat that is high in vitamins and minerals. We also had a friend who killed one in December and is down with the MoMM cause, so he donated the meat for us to use.
Don’t have Wyoming Whiskey – substitute any other type of whiskey; you’ll be cooking off the alcohol so a subtle taste will remain in the au poivre.
- Oven safe cooking sheet
- Medium sized frying pan (preferably cast iron)
- Medium sized mixing bowl
Ingredients: Buffalo NY Strip
- Buffalo NY Strip 10 oz.
- Golden sweet potato, 1 large
- Fresh thyme, 1 tsp. chopped
- Garlic, 2 tsp. pressed/minced
- Oil, 1/4 cup
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Ingredients: Wyoming Whiskey Au poivre
- Butter, 2 tbsp.
- Green peppercorn and brine, 2 tsp.
- Pink peppercorn, 2 tsp.
- Black cracked pepper, 2 tsp.
- Shallots, 2 tbsp. pressed/minced
- Garlic, 2 tsp. pressed/minced
- Wyoming Whiskey, 1/4 cup
- Heavy Cream, 1/2 cup
- Demi Glace, 2 tbsp.
- Ramps (spring onion) 4
Preparation: Sweet Potato
1. Preheat oven to 325° F.
2. In mixing bowl, combine sweet potato, thyme, garlic, salt / pepper and olive oil and mix.
3. Place on cooking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
Preparation: Wyoming Whiskey Au Poivre
1. In frying pan over medium/high heat, cook steaks to a temperature of your liking. Keep any juices from steaks in pan.
2. In frying pan on medium heat, heat 1 tbsp. of butter until melted and combine garlic, and shallots and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes.
3. Add all three types of peppercorn and allow to heat up, about 1 minute.
4. Add all but 1 tbsp. of whiskey to pan (if you’re cooking on a gas stove it will ignite, BE AWARE) Let the whiskey cook down. If you have a big ass fire going and you’re losing your shit like a little bitch, put a lid over the pan and it will extinguish the flame.
5. After fire is out, add heavy cream and demi glace to sauce pan and cook down about ¼ of sauce. Place sauce in bowl and use pan to char ramps
1. Grill that shit to rare or medium rare. If you go beyond that, you might as well throw it away because you ruined it.
Serve steak over sweet potato with au poivre drizzled over top and garnish with charred ramps. Drink with whiskey because you are a man.
Wyoming Whiskey Small Batch Bourbon
Why you care: Wyoming Whiskey is a small family business where emphasis is on quality not quantity. If you’re eating a slab of buffalo steak you should be washing it down with a whiskey that reflects rugged individualism.
Location: Kirby, Wyoming
Production information: Small batch says it all. The whiskey is aged for 5 years in new oak barrels. Crops are grown within 100 miles and water is from a nearby limestone aquifer. As direct as you can get when going from grain to bottle.
Notes: Light and smooth mouth feel with notes of vanilla crème and cinnamon.
- Drinkability – 10
- Accessibility – 10
- Quality – 5
- Cost – 8
- Sexiness – 8
- Total – 82